The Wichita Fire Department celebrates its 130th anniversary on Tuesday, Aug. 23, and the WFD invites the public to join in on the celebration. Starting at noon, each of Wichita’s fire stations will offer treats to visitors. Temporary firefighter stickers and tattoos and candy will be available to children, and other items will be available to adults.
Wichita has fire stations at each of the following locations:
- 257 N Hillside
- 1010 N. 143rd
- 2950 E. 21st N.
- 6408 Farmview
- 2808 N. Webb
- 731 N. Main
- 3261 N. Broadway
- 2346 N. Coolidge
- 661 N. Elder
- 3162 W. 42nd St. N.
- 1632 N Tyler
- 2110 N. 135th St. W.
- 1240 S. Broadway
- 350 S. Edgemoor
- 1845 George Washington Boulevard
- 7923 E Lincoln
- 4440 S Broadway
- 2255 S Greenwich
- 2659 S Hydraulic
- 2423 W Irving
- 3443 S Meridian
- 10651 W Maple
Wichita Fire Department History
The Wichita Fire Department began with Engine House No. 4 located on the southeast corner of Seneca and Douglas, in a time before fire trucks. By 1918, Wichita had become the first all-mechanized fire department in the United States, and the second in the world.
Kansas Firefighters Museum
Engine House No. 6, located at 1300 S. Broadway and built in 1909, was the last horse-drawn fire station in Wichita. The building now houses the Kansas Firefighters Museum, which offers visitors the opportunity to see first-hand what being a firefighter was like in early Wichita.
The museum has thousands of historic firefighting items on display from all over the state, including an 1800s hand-drawn hose reel, hand-drawn chemical extinguisher, an 1880s Howe handpumper, and more.
Guests can also visit the Kansas Fallen Firefighters Memorial located just south of the museum. The memorial is dedicated to those Kansas firefighters known to have died in the line of duty.
The memorial courtyard includes:
• A statue of a firefighter discovering the helmet of a comrade amid debris
• A brick plaza of engraved bricks
• A memorial wall and meditation area
• A 50 foot tall flagpole from Engine House No. 9