Exploration Place to Host Second Annual Maker Faire
On July 30 and 31, Exploration Place will host the second annual Mini Maker Faire. The family-friendly event will highlight the projects of more than 50 makers, showcasing creativity, invention, resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker movement. The event will run from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. on Saturday, and from noon until 5 p.m. on Sunday.
The Maker Faire is an opportunity for people show what they are making and share what they are learning. Makers range from tech enthusiasts to crafters to scientists and more. The Maker Faire serves to connect, entertain, inform and grow the community.
Visitors can expect to see all kinds of projects, including 3-D printing, drawing, electronics, fashion, gaming, handmade jewelry, screen printing, technology, woodworking and more.
This year, the faire offers a brand new element called the Kid Maker Zone. Here, children are invited to participate in hands-on activities, such as disassembling electronics in “Take a Part-y,” as well as learning to solder, drawing with a 3-D pen and building robots. Children will also be able to engineer and launch rockets, and collaborate to create a giant foam sculpture. The Kid Maker Zone will be open on Saturday from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m., and on Sunday from noon until 5 p.m.
In addition to these Maker activities for kids, visitors can also expect to:
- Experience virtual reality with a smartphone
- View the process of guitar design
- Listen to music playing speakers repurposed from vintage suitcases
- Watch as Drawbot creates masterpieces with a hanging pen
- Safely observe pennies melt using the power of the sun
- Encounter props and costumes from Star Wars and Star Trek
- Craft a stretchy chainmail bracelet to take home
- Build a patented paper airplane
- Learn and practice basic bicycle maintenance
- Investigate handcrafted cutting board and jewelry made from coins
- and more.
Food trucks will be present all weekend long, with Brown Box Bakery, Funky Monkey Munchies, Let'm Eat Brats and Little Lion Ice Cream serving food from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m., and Strada by Luciano’s from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday. On Sunday, Brickhouse BBQ and Little Lion Ice Cream will operate from noon until 2 p.m., and Strada by Luciano’s will be open from 1 p.m. until 5 p.m.