College Cooking Tips
Most dorms don’t allow luxuries like hot plates, toasters/toaster ovens, or electric kettles. What they do allow however, are microwaves and coffee makers. These two things by themselves can actually yield a surprising amount of recipes. Here are five quick dorm friendly recipes to get you started.
Eggs & Bacon (Microwave)
- Crack two eggs into a microwave safe bowl.
- And salt and pepper to taste.
- Two tablespoons of milk.
- One teaspoon of butter.
- Whisk lightly.
- Cook for 30 seconds,
- Remove and stir.
- Cook for 30 more seconds.
- Remove, fluff and set aside to cool while you cook bacon.
- Lay bacon strips in single layer on a microwave safe plate.
- cover with a paper towel(s).
- cook for three minutes or until crispy.
- Remove and let cool a bit before eating.
- Crack 2 eggs into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add your choice of meat - shredded deli meat works great for something typically on hand in a dorm room, we recommend two or so slices.
- Add diced veggies - about a quarter cup should do it.
- Add two tablespoons of milk.
- Add One teaspoon of butter.
- Add Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and cook for 2 ½-3 minutes in your microwave.
- Remove, let cool, and enjoy!
Hard Boiled Egg (Coffee Maker)
- Add ½ tsp of salt to microwave safe cup or to coffee pot.
- Add uncooked egg(s).
- (if you have a single serve coffee maker congrats it’s also a single serve egg maker, if you have a coffee pot layer the bottom of the pot with eggs).
- Run your coffee maker without coffee in it.
- Let egg(s) sit in hot water for 15 Min.
- Remove and place in refrigerator.
- Once cool, peel and enjoy.
Chocolate Mug Cake (Microwave)
- Combine in a microwave safe mug.
- 4 Tablespoons of flour
- 4 Tablespoons of sugar
- 3 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 Tablespoons of Nutella
- Stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Microwave for 1min 30 seconds.
- If not quite done microwave an additional 10-15 seconds.
Pasta (Coffee Maker)
Sorry single serve coffee people this one isn’t for you.
- Add ¾ of a pot worth of water to your coffee makers water reservoir.
- Add your choice of pasta to the pot, anything will work as long as it fits and will be submerged by the water.
- Place the pasta pot onto the coffee maker.
- Run your coffee maker (make sure to not have coffee in the maker).
- Make sure your coffee maker’s warmer is on.
- Once done “brewing” (running water through the coffee maker) let pasta soak in the coffee pot stirring occasionally for 10-15 minutes.
- Strain into your dorm sink, a fork works great over the spout to help keep the past a in.
- Add your preferred sauce.
Disclaimer: All cooking should be done with microwave safe dishware. Read the warning labels on your dishware, some of the cheaper stuff commonly purchased for dorm room use is not so microwave friendly and will melt or be hotter than the surface of the sun when you try to remove it. We recommend giving your coffee maker a good scrub before cooking unless you enjoy coffee flavored everything. Also, when you attempt these recipes don’t try and blame us when you forgot to check on something and stink up your entire dorm floor.