Wichita Kansas Events, Entertainment, Restaurants and Attractions
Search

What's New on 360Wichita.com:

Kansans Prefer Sustainable Restaurant Practices, According to KRHA Survey

Kansans Prefer Sustainable Restaurant Practices, According to KRHA Survey

The Kansas Restaurant and Hospitality Association (KRHA) recently conducted two surveys regarding the role of sustainability practices in consumer favorability. The survey was given in order to examine whether or not sustainability is a deciding factor for Kansans when choosing a restaurant.    

In the association's poll, 250 Kansanswere surveyed. Of these,  61% indicated that they would be more likely to eat at a restaurant it donated leftover food instead of throwing it away. Of the remainder, 32%  indicated they would be as likely, while only 7% of those surveyed  would be less likely.  

Notably, 73% of women said they would be more likely to eat a restaurant if they knew it  donates leftover food, compared to 48% of men.   

In a second poll, 250 more Kansans were asked: "How would you react if you  learned that a restaurant was sorting their trash for composting and recycling efforts?" 

In this poll, 36% of participants indicated that they would be more likely to eat at a restaurant if it  sorted its trash for composting and recycling efforts. No change in likelihood was noted by 57% of respondents, and 7% would indicated that they would be less likely to eat at restaurants taking these steps. 

There were no statistically significant differences in demographics tested,  including gender, age, urban density and income level.   

“It’s becoming increasingly important to consumers that businesses take the time to consider  the impact they are having on the environment,” said Adam Mills, CEO of KRHA.   

The KRHA takes an active role in helping educate and support member businesses in their  sustainability efforts. Several KRHA member restaurants already implement sustainability  practices in their day­to­day operations. Notable examples include: 

● Beautiful Day Café in Wichita, KS, which features a permaculture garden for use in the  restaurant, turns food waste into compost, and uses recycled dishes. Broken dishes are  recycled by local artists and turned into art. 

● Panera Bread locations in Wichita, KS and Kansas City, KS, which bake fresh daily and  donate leftover product to a local non­profit. 

● Hopps Catering in Kansas City, KS, which donates leftover food to Safe House each  week. 

About KRHA  Founded in 1929, the Kansas Restaurant and Hospitality Association is the leading business  association for restaurants, hotels, motels, country clubs, private clubs and allied business in  Kansas. Along with the Kansas Restaurant and Hospitality Association Education Foundation  (KRHAEF), the Association works to represent, educate and promote the rapidly growing  industry of hospitality in Kansas. For more information about the KRHA, visit www.KRHA.org. 

Comments:

« Back

Newest Contests

No contests at this time.
Farha's Carpet & Building Supply, Inc. Rhatigan Student Center Scholfield Honda