Wichita Kansas Events, Entertainment, Restaurants and Attractions
Search

What's New on 360Wichita.com:

Wichita's Oldest Buildings

Wichita was founded nearly 150 years ago, and some of the city's first buildings are still standing. Though some of these structures have been restored and maintained, they date back to the late 1800s. Check out some of Wichita's oldest buildings below!

Carey Eaton Hotel

View Full Image

Carey Eaton Hotel

The Eaton Hotel is located at 525 E. Douglas. Originally built in 1886-1887 by John B. Carey, a Wichita mayor and businessman, this building is five stories tall and features a square tower at the northeast corner. The Carey House, later the Eaton Hotel, would go on to famously serve as the sight of Carry Nation's Temperance Campaign destruction. This location is registered as a Wichita, Kansas and National Historic site.
Wholesale Grocery Warehouse Building

View Full Image

Wholesale Grocery Warehouse Building

Now commonly referred to as the old Spaghetti Works Building, 619 E. William began as a Wholesale Grocery Warehouse. The four-story warehouse was built in 1894, and was once described as the strongest structure built in Wichita, according to the Historical Preservation Alliance. This location is on both the Kansas and National Register of Historic Places.
Pratt/Campbell House

View Full Image

Pratt/Campbell House

The Pratt/Campbell House is located at 1313 N. Emporia. Built in 1887, the home features unique brick and stone detailing, a covered porch and a square tower. This house is on the Wichita Register of Historic Places.
Judge Wall House

View Full Image

Judge Wall House

This home, located at 622 N. St. Francis, once belonged to attorney Thomas B. Wall. The home was built in 1887, and was home to Wall until his death in 1906. This location is on the Wichita, Kansas and National Register of Historic Places.
Enoch Dodge House

View Full Image

Enoch Dodge House

The Enoch Dodge House can be found at 1406 West Second. Enoch Dodge was one of the first two people to settle in the Delano Township, and his Queen Anne style home was constructed in 1887. The house highlights a wraparound porch and both stained glass and bay windows. The streets in the surrounding area, like Dodge, Elizabeth, Glenn, Martinson and Fern, were named after Enoch's family, according to the Historic Preservation Alliance. The Enoch Dodge House is on the Wichita Register of Historic Places.
Occidental Hotel

View Full Image

Occidental Hotel

The Occidental Hotel is located at 300 N. Main. Built in 1873, it was the city's first brick building, and is the oldest commercial structure remaining from the cowtown period, according to the HPA. It's listed on the Wichita, Kansas, and National Registers of Historic Places.
University Hall

View Full Image

University Hall

This historic building can be spotted from Kellogg. University Hall on the Friends campus was built between 1886 and 1888. It was originally part of Garfield University, a Christian college named after the late President, James A. Garfield. It later became Friends University. This is the first and largest of the public buildings designed by Proudfoot and Bird, according to the HPA. A well-known structure in Wichita, the clock tower can be seen for miles. University Hall can be found on the Wichita, Kansas and National Registers.
Hillside Cottage

View Full Image

Hillside Cottage

Like other homes listed here, this one was constructed by Wills Proudfoot. This one, however, he built as his personal residence. Located at 303 Circle Drive, the Colonial cottage features many unique elements and even has Hillside Cottage written in its stone detailing. You can find Hillside Cottage on the Wichita, Kansas, and National Registers.
Aviary

View Full Image

Aviary

George Bird, Proudfoot's business partner, also built his own residence in the area. Located at 330 Circle Drive, this residence is known as The Aviary. Construction was completed in 1887. This home, too, has its name inscribed on it's exterior; the chimney reads "Aviary." This property is listed on the Wichita Register of Historic Places.
Carlisle House

View Full Image

Carlisle House

Built in 1886, this home belonged to Wichita attorney, W.K. Carlisle. The two-and-a-half story house is located at 1215 N. Emporia. Notable features include gables and overhanging eaves. When infill housing threatened the Carlisle House in 1977, an extensive community effort saved the property from demolition. The Carlisle House is listed on the Wichita Register of Historic Places.
Holyoke Cottage

View Full Image

Holyoke Cottage

Holyoke Cottage was built in 1880. Located at 1700 N. Holyoke, the home was built for a Congregational Church minister who helped found Fairmount College, according to the HPA. The home served as a women's dormitory from 1897-1918. Holyoke Cottage is on the Wichita, Kansas, and National Registers of Historic Places.
Senator Chester Long House

View Full Image

Senator Chester Long House

This 1887 home was purchased by former Senator Chester I. Long in 1911. Located at 3401 East Second, it's a famous part of the College Hill area. The home is well preserved, and features three stories. A 1976 remodel added the elevated porch and columns to the front of the home. This house is on the Wichita, Kansas, and National Registers.
Campbell Castle

View Full Image

Campbell Castle

Wichita's own castle is locate at 1155 N. River Blvd. This home was built by a cattleman in 1888, and is the only remaining castle style residence from the Wichita building boom of the 1880's. The home resembles a Scottish castle, and features an accompanying two-story carriage house. The home now operates as a bed and breakfast. It's listed on the Wichita, Kansas, and National Registers of Historic Places.
Harding House

View Full Image

Harding House

Built in 1890, the Harding House at 1231 N. Waco exemplifies elements of Queen Anne, Victorian architecture. It features a second floor balcony on the front, and a rounded tower. This house is listed on the Wichita Register of Historic Places.
Old City Hall Building

View Full Image

Old City Hall Building

You may recognize this building as the Wichita Sedgwick County Historical Museum, but it was also City Hall Building for 84 years. Located at 204 S. Main, the structure was built between 1890 and 1892. This, too, is an example of a Proudfoot and Bird design. Known as the "Palace of the Plains," the building features round towers on the corners, a square clock tower, and a rough stone finish. This building is a registered historic place at the city, state, and national level.
Munger House

View Full Image

Munger House

The Munger House, located at Old Cowtown Museum at 1871 Sim Park Drive was built in 1868, making it the oldest registered historical building in Wichita. The log structure was built by Darius Munger, who was the father of the city of Wichita. According to the HPA, the house has been relocated three times and has served as a hotel, post office, a justice hall and community center. The Munger House is listed on the Kansas and National Registers of Historic Place.

Want to Learn More?

To learn more about these historic buildings, or to find more, click below!

Comments:

« Back

Newest Contests

No contests at this time.
Coldwell Banker Plaza Real Estate RBI Performance Center The Liquor Cabinet