Kansas is home to some amazing fishing locations. There are over 30 publicly accessible fishing locations in the Wichita metropolitan area alone, and they're all well stocked by the state thanks to a law passed back in the 1980's. We've put together a list of some of the major locations that are all within the city limits as well as a few that are just a short drive out of town.
Fishing Spots in Wichita:
- Chisholm Creek Park: Straddling K-96 Chisholm Creek Park is actually home to two publicly accessible fishing spots
- North Lake: As the name implies, just north of K-96 the lake is home to good catfish,crappie, bluegills and bass. It is also a popular running path and allows access for small hand carry able boats into the water
- Island Pond: Nestled back in the Great Plains Nature Center, the Island Pond is catch and release fishing only however the pond is still home to bluegill, catfish, bass, and crappie
- Cruiser 96 Lake: That little patch of water just off the I-135 North to K-96 East interchange has a name. It's Cruiser 96 lake and it's home to excellent bluegill and good catfish, crappie, and bass fishing
- O.J. Watson Park: Popular as a family destination for it's train, mini golf and paddle boats it also happens to have good bluegill, catfish, crappie, and bass fishing
- Wichita South Lake: Excellent Bluegill Good Catfish, crappie, Bass
- Sedgwick County Park: A popular destination for family outings, company get togethers, bikers and hikers alike. This park also boasts great fishing for bluegill, large mouth bass, channel catfish and is stocked with trout from November 1st through April 14th (please note a special trout permit is required)
- KDOT North East & West Lake:- Situated Just north of the I-135 & K-96 East interchange these two lakes are home to some excellent bluegill fishing and some good catfish, bass, and crappie fishing. The least lake is also stocked with trout November 1st through April 14th (please note a special trout permit is required)
Spots Just Outside of Town:
- Butler State Lake- Located just over an hour southwest of Wichita; Butler State Lake is home to good bass, bluegill, and catfish and sunfish fishing. Other activities around the lake include hiking and boating
- El Dorado Lake- Popular fishing destination for butler county community college students, El Dorado lake is home to walleye, catfish, perch, crappie,and wiper fish. The reservoir is also a popular boating and camping destination
- Cheney Reservoir - A popular boating destination just west of Wichita, Cheney lake is home to some good white bass fishing towards the upper end of the the lake. The lake is also known to be home to walleye and crappie. Along with great fishing you can also find hiking trails, campgrounds and areas for both swimming and boating. Cheney lake is considered one of the top sailing lakes in the United States
- Harvey County East Lake- About 30 minutes north and another 15 minutes east will get you to Harvey County East Lake, a fun boating, fishing, and camping destination and home to saugeye, white bass, large mouth bass, crappie, and catfish
Where are your favorites?
We know we didn't even begin to scratch the surface of all the great fishing spots in the area. Let us know what some of your favorites are in the comment section below!