This weekend, July 8th - 10th, join your fellow Wichitans at the Anime Festival Wichita(AFW) at the Wichita Hyatt Regency Hotel! Come join the fun with industry veterans, cosplaying and watch parties all weekend.
Never been to a con before? Been to plenty? That’s okay! We want to help you with a few tips on making this a con experience to remember!
- Make a realistic, flexible schedule: Be sure to check out the official event schedule at www.afwcon.org/events to get the most out of your day(s). Putting together a plan of attack (on titan) will give you the best chance to see everything you want. But what happens when you have to choose between your two favorite things? Well, I guess you could ask your Magic 8 ball.
- Don’t Spend All Your Money On The First Day: As the days go on, you'll see and find things that you'll just go crazy for, whether they be original art, Manga, Anime, CDs, clothes, wooden bokkens, wall scrolls, memorabilia and a host of others. If you can, avoid making many purchases on the first day. By the time you get through everything, you’ll know exactly what it is you want and you won’t be left regretting missing that one piece (pun intended..) of memorabilia you can’t live without.
- Bring Cash And Compare Prices: The truth is that you will need some. So be sure to bring some extra Benjamins. There will inevitably be tables that won’t take a card...and you don’t want to miss out! Which brings us to the next thing - comparing prices. Don’t be afraid to walk away from that Naruto poster. I once walked around an entire convention floor looking through for a certain comic book set. Eventually I was able to find the set for almost half the price of what I found it for in the first booth!
- Early Bird Gets The Worm: Don’t make the mistake of showing up right on time. If you do, you’re likely to stand in line...and who wants that? Showing up even 15 minutes earlier than you think you need to could mean a better parking spot or being the first one to get that Death Note exclusive.
- Get To Know The Vendors: These are people who may be making a living off the art they are creating or the store they own. I have found that their stories are interesting and they don’t feel as much like a zoo animal as you walk past them slowly, without muttering a sound to them..
- Water Water Water: Eventually, those greasy snacks and the endless stream of soda is going to get to you. Take the time to get water and plenty of it. You will thank yourself at the end of the day.
400 W. Waterman
Wichita, KS 67202
Registration (If buying tickets at the door) - Friday 3pm, Saturday/Sunday 9am.
Buy Your Tickets in advance at afwcon.org/tickets
Do you have your own tips for surviving a convention? Have a favorite memory you’d like to share? We want to hear about it! Have an event? Something cool you’d like to share? Let us know about it so we can talk about it! Email us at email@example.com about anything gaming, comic, hobby and pop culture or drop us a comment in the comment section below!