About Old Cowtown Museum
Located on 25 acres off the Chisholm Trail, Old Cowtown Museum is a unique, open-air living history museum which re-creates Wichita and Sedgwick County, Kansas from 1865 to 1880. A thriving community all its own, Cowtown gives visitors a true taste of the myths, truths and romance of the “Old West” and America’s frontier.
Bring the family out for a day you'll never forget. What you can do at Cowtown:
- Take covered-wagon rides.
- Walk inside and around 39 buildings, 27 of which are actual, historic 19th Century buildings.
- Be amazed by the museum's collection of artifacts on display.
- Put on period costumes and take Old-Style Photos.
- Visit the Snack Bar in the Saloon (don't forget to get a sarsparilla).
- Watch gun-fight re-enactments on the dusty streets.
- Interact with costumed interpretors who look like they just walked out of a history book.
- Participate in kid's crafts.
- Roam around Special Exhibits in the historic buildings.
- Take home souveniers from Cowtown's unique gift shop, featuring locally made items.
As a nationally recognized and accredited living history site, Cowtown offers a unique experience every time you visit.